You are here:Home /e-Planner
Urban Planning (*)
Community Development (*)
*Courses Taught by George K. Chou at Northrop University
American Planning Association Southern California Planning Congress
Association of Collegiate Schools of Planning Urban Institute
National Association of Regional Councils Resources on Urban Planning
UCLA School of Public Affairs (Urban Planning Top in Nation) Urban Planning
San Francisco Redevelopment Agency World Bank Urban Development Web site

San Francisco Planning and Urban Research Association

Term Papers on Urban Planning

Association of Bay Area Governements

Norton Professional Books

Shanghai Urban Planning Exhibition Hall

Resource for Urban Design Information

Planner's Network

The PLanning & Development Network

Urban Land Institute Case Studie

Urban and Regional Information Systems Association (URISA)

Urban Planner
Urban planners, sometimes also called city and regional planners, help a community solve problems such as inadequate housing, traffic congestion, and the location of new schools and parks. Good planning enables communities to develop good choices for where and how people live, work, and play.
Federal, state, and local governments employ the majority of urban and regional planners. They create long-term and short-term plans guiding the use of land for the growth and revitalization of urban, suburban, and rural communities. In the planning process, they involve different public organizations and private groups in a community and then develop a new vision to help officials make decisions concerning social, economic, and environmental problems. Some times planners are called upon to mediate opposing points of view about land use.
Many planners specialize in areas such as community development, urban design, housing, transportation, land use and enforcement of zoning codes, historic preservation, and environmental and natural resources planning. During their careers most planners will move among these specialties or have positions that combine them.
Urban planners by country
United States
Planners in the U.S. typically complete an undergraduate or graduate degree from a University offering the program of study. Professional certification is only offered through the national professional organization, The American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP). To gain AICP certification, a planner must meet specific educational and experience requirements, as well as pass an exam covering the nature and practice of the discipline. Although AICP certification is not required to be a practicing planner, it does serve as a means in which a planner can verify his or her professional expertise.
New Zealand
A professional postgraduate Masters in Planning degree from an institution accredited by the New Zealand Planning Institute [1]is required to become a professional planner. The University of Auckland and the University of Otago have good reputation for their Planning programs. Graduates are employed by many planning and planning-related agencies in the public and the private sectors, including district and regional councils, urban development, regional health authorities, the Department of Conservation, the Ministry for the Environment, and urban design consultancies. New Zealand planners are recognized internationally with many working in UK, Australia, USA, and other developed and developing countries.
United Kingdom

Those wishing to be a town or country planner, in the United Kingdom, first must complete a degree in a relevant discipline and then complete a final year in the form of a masters in town and country planning which must be accredited by the Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI), or a four year degree encapsulating all aspects. they can then become eligible to be a member of the RTPI, but must first complete two years work based training, to be a full member.

Town planners in the UK are responsible for all aspects of the built environment, wherever you are within the UK a town and country planner will have at sometime planned the built aspects of the environment. They (Local Planning Authorities) grant planning commission (consent) to individuals, private builders and corporations and also aid local government with their decisions.
Professional urban planners are recognized by the Canadian Institute of Planners (CIP). The CIP represents a membership of approximately 7000 planning professionals across Canada. Urban planners in Canada usually hold bachelor's degrees in planning or a Master's degree typically accredited as an M. PL, MUP or MA. Planners primarily work in the public service and the private sector, in a wide variety of fields including land use planning, environmental resource management, land development, heritage conservation, social planning, transportation planning and economic development.
Urban planners in Australia typically graduate from a Planning Institute Australia (PIA) certified course provided by universities across all states and territories. Such courses are generally Bachelors degrees of four years duration, although there are also Masters degrees and Postgraduate Diplomas available.

Urban planners in Mexico typically graduate from an Architecture background provided by major universities in the country. Most of such degrees can be awarded at Masters' graduate studies, although there are also Bachelors degrees available.

With diversification and changes to the planning scene, the scope of planners have also undergone a sort of metamorphosis with the introduction of different specialisations of planners. The list includes, but is not limited to,
All planners deal with land use, space and place, but provide different viewpoints towards the planning of the built environment. For instance, in planning for a neighbourhood centre, the economic development planner would suggest locations that are economically viable and would be subjected to a steady flow of potential customers. He or she would analyse statistics and projections like the floor-space needed, where the customers are to be drawn from, location of competitors and so forth. The urban designer will come in and suggest principles that make the neighbourhood centre 'liveable', including how to ensure safety in design, design guidelines for developers, and so forth. The infrastructure and transport planner would ensure the efficient provision of basic infrastructure services, including water, electricity and sewerage needed for the smooth running of the businesses, as well as plan for basic public transport services or delineate out cycling paths.
Page 1 2
| |





Community Development


Architect – Engineer - Planner

18501 Vidora Dr. #A Rowland Hts, Ca 91748


Architect – Engineer - Planner

18501 Vidora Dr. #A Rowland Hts, Ca 91748

Prosperity Consulting Group 2005, All rights Reserved Prosperity Consulting Group 2005.